Saturday, 28 November 2020

Prime Minister of Bangladesh

  The Prime Minister of the People's Republic of Bangladesh is the Head of Government of Bangladesh . In a cabinet-ruled or parliamentary system of government, the Prime Minister is the head of government of Bangladesh . The Prime Minister and his Cabinet jointly presented their policy-making and course of action to the great National Assembly . These issues are related to the working of their political parties and elected representatives.

Sheikh Hasina Wazed is the current and 14th Prime Minister of Bangladesh . She is simultaneously the head of the ruling party of the 11th National Assembly of Bangladesh and the president of the Bangladesh Awami League .


According to the constitution made in 1972, the formation of the government in Bangladesh through parliamentary system is described. The Prime Minister will be the head of government. The President will be elected by the members of the National Assembly . But the military coup hampered the progress of the parliamentary system of government. Martial law was enacted in 1975 in the wake of a military coup. Then came the system of government, a combination of both presidential and parliamentary systems of government. But power remains largely in the hands of the military. In the 1980s, the country was again governed by martial law. But in 1991 the parliamentary system of government was reintroduced. In this, the President is considered as the Head of State and the Prime Minister as the Head of Government.

In September 1991, the constitution had to be amended to change the electoral system. The parliamentary system of government was formally created and the main power of government was returned to the Prime Minister's Office. As a result, the system of government of Bangladesh went back to the original constitution. In October 1991, members of the National Assembly elected Abdur Rahman Biswas as President.

Office responsibilities 

The Prime Minister's Office is located in Tejgaon, one of the busiest areas of Dhaka metropolis. The Prime Minister's Office is considered a government ministry. Other responsibilities include clearing office matters, security and assisting the Prime Minister in other activities, as well as intelligence matters, NGOs, organizing events, and so on.

The government structure 

Jatiya Sangsad is the highest legislative assembly of the People's Republic of Bangladesh. The one-chamber legislature has 350 members. Of these, 300 members of parliament are elected by direct popular vote. In addition, 50 women MPs were elected as MPs through reserved seats. The term of office of Members of Parliament is five years. The President is nominated by Parliament. His term is also five years. He will be able to serve for two terms.

According to the constitution, the president nominates the prime minister on the basis of the official results of the parliamentary elections . The Election Commission conducts the election activities of the National Assembly. The prime minister is the leader of the majority party or coalition. He has to gain the confidence of the members of the National Assembly to form the government. The members of the cabinet are elected by the Prime Minister and the government is nominated by the President. At least 90% of the ministers must be members of the National Assembly. The remaining 10% of ministers may not be elected as Members of Parliament. At the written request of the Prime Minister, the President dissolves the National Assembly.

The political crisis 

The pre-announced January 22, 2008 parliamentary election sparked widespread controversy. The Bangladesh Awami League and its allies strongly objected. According to them, the ruling Khaleda Zia government and the BNP have kept the caretaker government in their favor, which will hamper fair elections. Sheikh Hasina demanded the resignation of President Tajuddin Ahmed as the head of the caretaker government and on January 3, 2008 the Awami League and its allies boycotted the elections. At the end of that month , President Tajuddin Ahmed was removed from the post of chief adviser by the intervention of the army chief, General Moinuddin Ahmed . As a result, a state of emergency was declared in Bangladesh.As the chief adviser to the caretaker controlled by the military . Fakhruddin Ahmed was appointed. As a result, the announced parliamentary election process was postponed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bangladesh's 4122 Crore Taka housing project for Freedom Fighters - BD News Net

 The  Bangladesh government will build houses for widows and children of indigent freedom fighters, martyrs and late heroic freedom fighters...